Our ATP Service, powered by Hornet Security, consists of 3 different mechanisms complementing each other:
- ATP URL Rewriting
- Targeted Fraud Forensic Filter
Important: The ATP Service offers a 30 days trial period. This time frame should also be used for possible adjustments. Please contact our sales department for additional information regarding the trial period.
You will receive an individual and more detailed time frame during the trial period by our customer support. The services will be enabled in the following order:
- ATP URL Re-writer
- Targeted Fraud Forensic Filter
We recommend 7-days between enabling each mechanism, as each mechanism needs to be assessed for any possible increase in False Positives. After enabling the ATP-Filter you will find additional filter reasons from within the Workspace.
You can enable the ATP-Filter at any time through the Control Panel. To do so, you will only have to enable the service under “Management > E-Mail > ATP” and add one or multiple email address(es) that are supposed to receive the Real Time Alerts, which the service sends out in case of an identified attack. Please be aware that enabling the service from the Control Panel will only enable the ATP-Filter and not the complete service. The additional mechanisms need to be enabled through the customer support.
ATP URL Rewriting
The URL Rewriting is responsible for testing URL's in incoming emails for any harmful content. To do so, the mechanism will rewrite any identifiable URLs in incoming emails in such a manner, that any URL opened from the email will be rerouted through our ATP filter, which acts as a web proxy and scans the content of the website before forwarding the user to the webpage.
Due to rewriting the URL, the recipient will notice some different behaviour:
- The URL from within the email will change
The mechanism will rewrite the URL in such a manner that the ATP filter will act as a web proxy. The structure of the URL will be:
atpscan.global.hornetsecurity.com + a generic ending
- When opening the website through the URL in the email, the recipient will see the Hornetsecurity ATP banner.
If you want to convert the cryptic URL back to its original state, you can use the URL Decoder.
In the following circumstances, the URL Rewriting won’t be able to work as expected:
- Signed/encrypted emails: Rewriting the URL would harm the email integrity
- Using the URL Decoder: If the URL is not opened using the generic ATP URL, the ATP service will not be able to act as a web proxy
Setup ATP URL Rewriting
To setup URL rewriting, EveryCloud will require a list of Internal URL's from the customer that are to be added to the allow list, e.g. Intranet server URL. The URL Rewriting Filter will need to be enabled through customer support . Enabling the ATP filter through the Control Panel will not be sufficient.
Setup ATP Targeted Fraud Forensic Filter
The service is responsible for identifying and preventing spear phishing attacks that target mainly departments or single persons in the company having the authority to release any possible bank transfers.
The Target Fraud Forensic Filter as well as the URL Rewriting will need to be enabled through our customer support. Enabling the ATP filter through the Control Panel will not be sufficient.
The mechanism is only intended to cover a few decision-makers within the company. There will be no global check on the domain. The customer support will need a list of email addresses to be checked in to enable the service for you
The filter will use a multitude of different heuristics and mechanism to identify such emails:
- Intention Recognition System: Checks the email for any content patterns (e.g. requests for bank transferral, requesting sensitive information, etc.)
- Fraud Attempt Analysis: Checks the integrity and authenticity of meta data and mail content
- Identity Spoofing Recognition: Identifies and blocks faked senders
- Spy-Out Detection: Checks if any sensitive information is requested (e.g. passwords)
- Feign Facts Identification: Checks the email for any attempts to gain information by feign facts
- Targeted Attack Detection: Detects aimed attacks towards a specific person